Boutique hotel is a term popularized in North America and the United Kingdom to describe intimate, usually luxurious hotel environments.
By their very nature, boutique hotels are unique and focused on offering their services in a comfortable, intimate, and welcoming setting. Rarely do they reflect the kind of standard uniformity for which large chain hotel groups have become known. (Garden of the Gods Club has 27 holes of championship golf, a full-service spa, a 4,900-square-foot gym, swimming pools, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, walking trails, and more.)
Boutique hotels have typically been unique properties operated by individuals or companies with a small collection. (Case in point: Garden of the Gods Club is owned and operated by Sunrise Company, which has been the builder of America’s finest country club communities for more than 40 years. Our Lodge is the company’s only hotel asset.)
Boutique hotels offer travel experiences that are truly one-of-a-kind – vacations that you’ll be certain to remember for years to come. So the next time you visit Colorado, come and spend an evening at our Lodge, and you’ll see just what we mean. Better yet, join us for the weekend and take full advantage of all of the incredible amenities we have to offer. The views that await you from every guest room will amaze you, but it’s the service and amenities that will keep you coming back again and again. We hope to see you soon!Read More
Is healthy eating really going to improve the look of your skin? YES! Research shows that the more green and antioxidant-rich your diet is, the better your skin and hair will be. The fact that a lot of healthy foods offer beauty benefits is just a bonus — one that we hope may just persuade you to eat healthier, too. After all, vanity can be quite the motivator. And if vanity isn’t enough, knowing that certain foods can heal your heart should be!
To get the full scoop on precisely which beauty bonuses we can expect from eating the top heart-healthy foods, we checked out what three experts in the field had to say. TODAY Show health and nutrition expert Joy Bauer, plastic surgeon (and anti-aging and rejuvenation authority), Dr. Frank J. Ferrin, and nutritionist Paula Simpson (who specializes in beauty) were all happy to help educate us on the benefits to be reaped from eating these “wonder” foods. After all, as cliché as it may sound, you are what you eat and, as Simpson says, when it comes to beauty, “It all starts with what you put in your body.” The following tips provide a great place to start!
Dark Leafy Greens = Glowing Skin
The Scoop: Dark leafy greens like kale and Swiss chard “are loaded with fiber, which reduces the risk of heart disease,” says Bauer. “They’re also one of the top sources of beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant that helps repair and renew your skin to give it a youthful glow.”
Spinach, too, packs a healthy wallop. In addition to beta-carotene, it’s brimming with lutein, potassium, fiber, and folate, all of which work to help keep your heart in great shape. Folate is also a vital nutrient for DNA repair, so spinach helps to keep your skin looking its best — from the inside out.
Tip: In their book “SuperFoods HealthStyle,” Steven Pratt, M.D., and Kathy Matthews offer some tips on how to pick the best of the bunch when shopping for greens. “Look for fresh-looking, fresh-smelling greens,” they say. “Avoid any that are yellow or browned.” They also recommend that you refrain from washing them right away, waiting until right before you’re going to prepare or eat them.
Avocados = Hydrated and Protected Skin
The Scoop: Avocados, which are ranked by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most nutritious fruit, are not only rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, but they also boast “healthy” fats that make them both heart healthy and wonderful for hair and skin. (Research has even shown that avocados can help with serious skin issues like eczema.) Many experts also extol the virtues of avocado oil, which has natural sunscreen properties and has been proven to protect against UVA and UVB rays much more effectively than other plant-based oils.
Tip: Avocados work their beauty magic when applied topically as well as when ingested. Try this easy, at-home hair mask that will help hydrate and add both shine and body: First, mix a mashed avocado with an egg yolk and a tablespoon of olive oil. Next, apply to hair. Cover with a plastic cap for 20-30 minutes, and then rinse and shampoo.
Healthy eating and regular exercise can really be the best anti-aging beauty secret! The American Heart Association suggests 3-4 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, in combination with a low-fat diet and regular exercise, to keep your heart and skin healthy. When you’re asking how to have beautiful skin, we at Garden of the Gods Club’s Spa will always answer, “Eat healthy, live well, and be beautiful!“Read More
As we prepare to celebrate Memorial Day weekend, we’d like to pause and remember all of the American soldiers who have died fighting for our great country. To all members of the military and your families, thank you for your service! Memorial Day also marks the unofficial start of summer. This morning, our Recreation Center is opening up for the season, and we’ll be kicking off the summer with Family Golf Day tomorrow (free and open to the public with RSVP required) plus golf and tennis tournaments on the Monday holiday. On top of these fun activities, there will be many events from which to choose this weekend in the greater Colorado Springs area. Here’s a quick rundown of this weekend’s festivities to help you plan your long holiday weekend.
- Family Golf Day – Saturday, 1-3 pm, Kissing Camels Golf Course. On behalf of our team at Garden of the Gods Club, I invite you and your children to attend our Family Golf Day. Enjoy complimentary burgers, hotdogs, and soda and watch your children participate in pitching, putting, and target contests for a chance to win fun prizes. Information about our junior golf programs, which are open to both Member and non-Member children, will also be available. In order to attend, you must RSVP to Michael at firstname.lastname@example.org (we need to give your names to our security team to ensure that you’re able to access the property).
- Territory Days in Old Colorado City – Click here to read our blog post about this fun event, which will be happening all weekend long.
- Sky Sox Baseball – Friday, Saturday, Sunday. This weekend, the Sky Sox are playing the Fresno Grizzlies. The Friday and Saturday night games will feature fireworks displays, and on Sunday, free youth jerseys will be given to the first 1,000 kids 12 and under. On Sunday, the stadium will also offer 50-cent hotdogs. Click here for more information, including the exact schedule and ticket pricing.
- MeadowGrass Music Festival – Friday through Sunday, La Foret Conference and Retreat Center. Chubby Carrier & the Bayou Swamp Band, winners of the 2011 Grammy for Best Zydeco Album, along with newgrass jam band Hot Buttered Rum, have been added to the lineup of the third annual MeadowGrass Music Festival. The Memorial Day weekend event features three days of national and regional artists performing roots, Americana, bluegrass, indie and blues music in the meadow of La Foret Conference and Retreat Center. Tickets are $15-$50 advance, $25-$60 gate, available through www.TicketWeb.com. Camping Passes are $15 per tent, good for three nights, and must be purchased in advance through TicketWeb. La Foret is a 400-acre resort with a sunny meadow surrounded by pine forests in Black Forest, just an hour south of Denver and a few minutes north of Colorado Springs. MeadowGrass Music Festival was featured in the August 2009 issue of Outside magazine, naming Colorado Springs No. 1 of America’s Best Cities. MeadowGrass also will include food vendors, beer from Bristol Brewing, and wine from Cheers. MeadowGrass is sponsored by La Foret, Bristol Brewing, KRCC 91.5 FM, Bee Vradenburg Foundation, The Gazette, Western Jubilee Recording Company, and A Music Company Inc. www.meadowgrassmusicfestival.org
- 1776 — Friday and Saturday, 7:30 pm, and Sunday, 2 pm, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. American history blazes to vivid life in this funny, insightful and unconventional Broadway hit. It is the summer of 1776 and the nation is ready to declare independence – if only our founding fathers can agree to do it! Winner of the Tony Award for the Best Musical, 1776 is a compelling musical drama that puts a human face on the pages of history. It’s the perfect show for the entire family! Tickets range from $26-35. www.csfineartscenter.org
We wish you a fun and memorable Memorial Day weekend!Read More
Making a tee time online is fast, easy, and can be done from the comfort of your own home. When tee times are made online, Golf Shop customers enjoy more time and attention from the staff, who aren’t as busy fielding phone calls as they might otherwise be. Members of Garden of the Gods Club can make tee times online up to 7 days in advance as long as you have a golfer classification. Here’s a quick review of the simple steps you should follow to make a Kissing Camels golf tee time online.
- First, log into our Members Only website, members.gardenofthegodsclub.com, and then type in your Member # and password.
- Once logged in, select the tab on the right-hand side of your screen that’s labeled Tee Times. Your screen should look like the picture below.
- Within the tee sheet menu, you can view tee times for any day our course is open, make a reservation for the available days, or make a tee time request if you are using the Jonas lottery system.
- To begin, select a date by using the calendar on the left-hand side of the screen (as shown in the picture below). You’ll be able to choose the date you would like to retrieve.
- Next, select the tee sheet. If you are looking for time slots available, be sure that the box to the left of ”Only Show Available Times” is selected.
- Look for an available time on the tee sheet.
- On the left-hand side of your screen, you should see a “Select” hyperlink for each tee time slot. When you click on “Select,” a new page will open that lists the details of your reservation.
- You can now begin to add golfers to your reservation. Choose the player type (“Member” for a fellow Member, guest, or buddies for Members or guests who are on the buddy list).
- Once you’ve added all of the golfers to your tee time, click on “Make Reservation.” A confirmation of the reservation will be displayed, and a copy of this confirmation will be emailed to all parties listed on the reservation.
I hope that these simple steps will assist you in making a tee time conveniently from your own home. If you have any questions, please stop by the Golf Shop, and any of our golf professional staff will guide you through the process.
Every Memorial Day weekend, Territory Days comes to Old Colorado City in Colorado Springs. Territory Days began in 1975 as the “Rampart Range Sertoma Territory Days Parade and Buffalo Barbeque.” In 1976, the name was changed to Territory Days to commemorate Old Colorado City having become the first capitol of the Colorado Territory back in 1861. Territory Days has grown from a small neighborhood craft fair into a three-day street festival that now hosts over 180 craft, commercial, and food booths. Each year, between 80,000 and 150,000 guests enjoy this event
- Held in Bancroft Park in Old Colorado City - 24th Street and Colorado Avenue
- Opens each day at 10 am. Closes at 7 pm on Saturday and Sunday. Closes at 6 pm on Monday.
- Don’t worry about parking; take the FREE shuttle bus from/to Coronado High School, 9:45 am to 7:15 pm.
- Free admission, lots of giveaways ($100 every hour plus spa grand prize), free bicycle valet
- Food, two beer gardens, demonstrations, fast-draw competition, Wild West gunfighters, local and national music (sponsored by Citadel Broadcasting)
Be a part of this ongoing tradition in Colorado Springs. With all of the great music and events happening all weekend, consider making a weekend out of it and spending an evening or two in one of the spacious guest rooms or suites at our Lodge. The Lodge is just minutes from Old Colorado City and less than two miles from the free shuttle at Coronado High School.Read More