Vacation. This three-syllable word is a cherished time to which we look forward, no matter how seldom it may come around. Although vacation is an excellent opportunity to rest, if you’re not mindful of your health while away, you may return just as exhausted as when you left. To help you return from vacation feeling relaxed and rejuvenated, we spoke with Lauralee Beerman, personal trainer and group fitness instructor at The Sports Club at Garden of the Gods Club. We actually caught Lauralee just as she was preparing for a vacation. We hope these tips are helpful!
1. Prepare for the airplane, drive, or any other transportation. “To start your vacation off on the right foot, be prepared for airplane or other travel by bringing healthy snacks with you,” Lauralee said. “Wear comfy clothing and take time to stand up and stretch—especially if it’s going to be a long trip,” Lauralee continued. “Another great idea is to bring a neck and head bolster so that you’re not hurting your upper neck and back muscles during long periods of sitting, especially on an airplane.”
2. Be willing to change your routine. Although it may be a challenge to fit in a workout while on vacation, it is possible if you’re willing to mix up your normal routine. “Exercises that utilize the body’s own weight for strength training are great because there’s no additional equipment required,” Lauralee advised. “Take advantage of new scenery. To mix in some cardio, go for long walks or try a new sport or activity. This is much more beneficial than sitting in a hotel room. Even if you don’t have access to a gym while away, there are plenty of things you can do if you are willing to change your approach.”
3. Consider a travel exercise kit. “One solution is to pack a travel exercise kit with lightweight, flexible equipment that can help you get a great workout, even in a small space like a hotel room,” Lauralee said. “Items like flexible tubing, glide disks, and resistance bands work great in a travel exercise kit because they are easy to pack and very lightweight. I often help my clients put these kits together for when they are going out of town, and I give them exercises to go along with the kit materials,” Lauralee explained. “I’m happy to assist anybody who is interested in one of these kits. They are a great help!”
4. Ask for healthy items when eating out. “Don’t be afraid to ask for healthy items when going out to eat. Ask the server if there’s any way to modify your favorite dishes, such as asking for sauces and butter on the side,” Lauralee said. “Rather than depriving yourself, have a few bites of a favorite dessert rather than having a ton of it—and get enough rest so that you can make healthy decisions.”
5. Be aware of environmental challenges. “As always, take precautions to protect yourself in the environment to which you are traveling,” Lauralee said. “If you’re heading somewhere hot and sunny, make sure to wear sunscreen and protective eyewear. If necessary, bring insect repellant or anything else that you anticipate needing while on vacation. Although this advice may sound like your mom reminding you to wear your sunscreen, you’d be surprised at how many people come back from a vacation severely sunburned,” Lauralee continued. “Remembering such small details can either make or break your vacation.”
Make your next vacation one to remember for all the right reasons, not for how exhausted you were upon return. Take care of your health while on vacation; it’s worth it! For additional tips about how to remain fit and healthy while on vacation, we encourage you to contact personal trainers Lauralee Beerman or Mike Komrofske at The Sports Club at 719.329.4009.Read More
I’m so excited, and I just can’t hide it! The weekend is almost here, and on top of that, we’re in for gorgeous spring weather. My own plans include getting out on the golf course and attending a baby shower; what do you have up your sleeve? If you need ideas, check out a few of the events (listed below) that will be happening in Colorado Springs over the weekend. Whether you’re a history buff, music lover, theatre/drama aficionado, or foodie, you should find something that’s right up your alley. Other great resources for Colorado Springs weekend planning include PeakRadar.com and The Gazette’s online event guide. Have a great time! -Christina
- Of Mice and Men — Friday, 7:30 pm, Saturday, 2 pm and 7:30 pm, and Sunday, 2 pm, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center. Hitch a ride to 1930s California for this journey through the heartland of America–a haunting tale of George and Lennie, two lonely migrant workers who are seeking a place they can call their own. Tickets $15-37.
- Experience Hendrix Tour — Friday, 8 pm, Pikes Peak Center. Presented by Fender Musical Instruments, this year’s tour will include performances by Billy Cox, Robert Randolph, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Dweezil Zappa, Taj Mahal, Eric Johnson, Brad Whitford of Aerosmith, Slide Brothers, Chris Layton of Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, and Mato of Indigenous, as well as other special guests to be announced. Tickets $49.50-69.50.
- “OOPS! A Night of Glorious Mistakes” — Saturday, 6 pm, Dusty Loo Bon Vivant Theater at UCCS. According to Theatreworks’ website, Saturday evening’s event is designed to celebrate “mistakes… not real ones, but wonderfully staged ones. Local actors and community leaders will take the stage in so-not-typecast roles at a cabaret for your enjoyment. This will be a hoot. If you have been to a THEATREWORKS gala or bistro in the past, you know that the food will be top-notch, the wine as exceptional as it is plentiful, and the music will keep us dancing well into the evening.” Tickets are $75, which includes food and alcoholic beverages. An estimated $55 of the evening’s ticket cost will be a contribution to UCCCS/THEATREWORKS and may be tax-deductible.
- “The Thorn” — Friday, 7 pm, Saturday, 1 pm and 7 pm, and Sunday, 2 pm, World Arena. “The Thorn” is a live, dramatic portrayal of the passion of the Christ like you have never seen it before. This amazing spectacular features live music, dance, martial arts, special effects, and aerial gymnastics. Tickets $12-51.
- Sunday Brunch — Sunday, 11 am to 2 pm, Garden of the Gods Club’s dining room. If you’re a member or Lodge guest, we invite you to experience a delectable assortment of breakfast and lunch items, as well as Verna’s famous pastries, for just $29 per adult and $14 per child. For reservations, call 719.329.6901.
Here at Garden of the Gods Club, we offer a wide variety of ways to get involved and meet other members. If you’re a golfer, one of the best ways to get connected is to participate in the Men’s Golf League (MGL) or Ladies’ Golf Association (LGA). As an assistant golf professional at Garden of the Gods Club’s Kissing Camels Golf Course, I help coordinate LGA events and wanted to give you some inside insight into this group. The Kissing Camels Ladies’ Golf Association (KCLGA) has two divisions, a nine-hole group and an 18-hole group. The nine-hole group is less competitive and more relaxed than the 18-hole group. Both are designed to be fun and inviting. I recently interviewed,Sandy Parrish, the current KCLGA president, to get her take on why someone should consider participating.
Michael Loosley (ML): Why should someone join the KCLGA?
Sandy Parrish (SP): The KCLGA offers a set time and guaranteed tee times weekly; each week offers a new format and gives ladies a chance to win pro shop credits for shopping!
ML: What do you like most about the League?
SP: The best part of our KCLGA is the wonderful friendships that are formed. Most of us have close friends we met on the course. Also, it is a chance to discuss world affairs, American Idol, golf, cooking, and every other topic imaginable!
ML: Can a woman still play if I she is new to the game?
SP: We love new players… We stress that we were all “beginners” at some point, and we encourage and welcome our more inexperienced gals. When you get the opportunity to play with better golfers, it can only help you to develop your game even more.
ML: Does a woman need an established handicap in order to participate?
SP: No established handicap is needed to join the KCLGA. Once you are a member, the pro shop staff or our handicap chairwoman, Georganne Baum, can assist you in the process of getting a handicap.
ML: Where and how can someone sign up?
SP: Any member of the KCLGA can point an interested golfer in the right direction to join. Doug Wilson in the pro shop or Carol Powers in the KCLGA are our “point” contacts, but any golfer can help out prospective members. If you are just joining the Garden of the Gods Club, information on the KCLGA is included in the membership packet.
Thanks to Sandy for taking the time to share about the KCLGA! If you still have questions about the KCLGA, we invite you to share them in the comment box located at the end of this blog post (below). To learn more about golf membership in Garden of the Gods Club, please contact Tracey at 719.520.4980 or email@example.com. To get connected with the KCLGA, call the Golf Shop at 719.636.2520. We hope to see you soon!Read More
“Views of Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods are outstanding.”
“The view, the spa experience, the attentive restaurant staff, and the relaxed atmosphere at the Club made for a memorable day. Thanks!”
“I appreciate the fitness classes that you offer!”
These are just a few of the comments that Garden of the Gods has recently received, and we’re proud of what a unique experience we’re able to offer our Members and guests. In addition to the absolutely stunning views that surround Garden of the Gods Club, our Members enjoy a well-rounded atmosphere filled with a wide variety of activities. If you’ve ever thought about becoming a Member of Garden of the Gods Club or know anyone who is considering membership, you’ll want to pay close attention to what we say next! Due to the success that the Club has enjoyed in recent years, membership initiation fees are scheduled to increase on May 1. Keep reading to get the scoop.
Strength Through Economic Uncertainty
The challenging economic climate of recent years has forced many private clubs across the country to close their doors. According to one article that cites the National Golf Foundation, more than 500 clubs are currently in serious risk of shutting down. To stay afloat, many clubs are reducing their initiation fees and dues. Garden of the Gods Club, on the other hand, is thriving. Hundreds of families have joined Garden of the Gods Club since Sunrise Company acquired the property in 2007. As a result of this recent success, Garden of the Gods Club is poised to increase membership initiation fees on May 1, 2012.
Further, Members and their referrals who join the Club will receive a one-time credit for up to $50 per month to their Member account (based on the category of membership) to last for one year. For complete program details, click here to download the 2012 Preview Initiative Packet.
“In the five years that Sunrise Company has owned Garden of the Gods Club, this is by far the best deal on membership [that has been available] at GGC,” Tracey Kalata, director of membership at Garden of the Gods Club, said. “We’ve run similar programs in the past, and this one offers an excellent opportunity to enjoy GGC’s many amenities at a great rate.”
Find Your Place
If you are interested in membership at GGC, now is the best time to join. The GGC community offers something for nearly everyone. Whether golfing our 27-hole championship course, competing on the tennis courts, staying fit at the Sports Club, relaxing at the Spa, playing with your children at the Recreation Center, meeting friends for dinner, or dancing the night away at one of our many parties, you can find endless ways to spend time with friends and family.
To find your place at Garden of the Gods Club, we invite you to stop by and chat with Director of Membership Tracey Kalata. You can contact her directly at 719.520.4980 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to meeting you!Read More
With the first official day of spring past us, now is an excellent time to incorporate new colors and styles into your wardrobe for a fresh, spring look . Springtime is a great opportunity to get rid of winter’s heavy layers while embracing lighter styles that help you transition into summer. To provide you with some unique spring fashion ideas, we headed to our Spa & Salon to scope out the trendy spring clothing and accessories offered there. Keep reading to get a head start on your spring style.
• Tickled Pink Jewelry. Adding vibrant jewelry to your outfit can help to create a refined spring look. Tickled Pink Jewelry boasts a variety of unique items from which to choose. Tickled Pink’s pieces range from big, chunky stones and leather bands to small, unrefined pearls. This line offers something for nearly any style preference.
• Layering scarves and jewelry. One trend to watch this spring season is layering light scarves with necklaces to create a multi-dimensional look. You can also layer multiple necklaces for a unique, trendy style. With lighter spring clothing, layered necklaces or scarves layered with necklaces create a balanced, chic appearance.
• Clothing by Halo Boutique. Right now, our Spa & Salon is carrying stylish clothing by Halo Boutique. Just in time for spring, Halo Boutique is offering plenty of patterned, slouchy, and brightly-colored pieces to choose from. You can also achieve a unique look by layering coordinating clothing pieces, as pictured in the look to the right.
• Over-sized bags by Halo Boutique. In addition to stylish clothing, Halo also offers over-sized bags that complement nearly any outfit. These bags are versatile and provide plenty of room to hold everything you need for your busy day.
• True gem tones. This spring, gem tones create a classic, bold look. Colors like aqua, fuchsia, and jade signify that winter is over and spring has arrived. You can find jewelry, as well as various clothing pieces, in these colors in our Spa & Salon.
• Geometric shapes. In addition to beautiful gem tones, bold, geometric shapes are in style this spring. Chunky, square jewelry or rounder, soft pieces add balance to nearly any outfit.
Along with the warm weather and vibrant colors of spring comes the opportunity to refresh your personal style. Try something new by layering a light scarf with one of your favorite necklaces, or by adding a bold, chunky piece of jewelry to your outfit. We invite you to stop by our Spa & Salon for some spring style inspiration. If you have any questions about any of the items described above, we encourage you to contact the Spa Concierge at 719.520.4988 or email@example.com.