For many of us, eating a healthy breakfast is a morning luxury that either rarely happens or is scarfed down quickly due to lack of time. A smart fix to this dilemma is to blend a variety of healthy ingredients together into one, delicious, nutrient-packed smoothie. This is a quick, smart meal that can be sipped en route to a morning appointment, a workout, work, or any other place that you may need to be.
The smoothies below contain a variety of healthy ingredients like strawberries, bananas, apples, and oats. Each of these ingredients is packed with proven health benefits that are too good to pass up. Strawberries are shown to help protect eye health, safeguard against arthritis, and improve brain function. The potassium in bananas helps prevent bone loss, while high levels of vitamin B6 produce an anti-inflammatory response in the body. And, oats are health champions as they help regulate blood cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar, and lower the risk of getting cancer. In addition to adding enjoyable flavor, spices like cinnamon are also shown to help stabilize blood-sugar levels. We hope that you enjoy these smoothie recipes, compliments of GGC Executive Chef Steven Weber. Enjoy!
Apple Pie Smoothie
2 (6-ounce) containers vanilla yogurt
1/2 cup pumpkin pie filling
1 banana, broken into chunks
1 cup apple juice
2 Granny Smith apples, skinned and cored
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
Combine and blend all ingredients. You can adjust the consistency with the apple juice if desired.
Strawberry Oatmeal Breakfast Smoothie
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 banana, broken into chunks
14 frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
Put the oats in first to finely grind them. Next, add the rest of the ingredients and puree until smooth. This smoothie is very filling and very healthy!
We hope that these smoothie recipes not only help you pack a delicious meal in minimal time but also enable you to reap incredible health benefits. Enjoy!Read More
If you’ve ever received a great, professional spa treatment, you know just how relaxing and rejuvenating it can be. When unique products from FarmHouse Fresh® (FHF), one of our Spa & Salon’s preferred vendors, are used in a spa treatment, another enjoyable dimension is added to the experience. We recently had the opportunity to chat with Delia McLinden, sales director for FHF, about what makes their products so memorable and unique. We invite you to follow along with our conversation below to learn more about what FarmHouse Fresh can do for you.
Garden of the Gods Club (GGC): What is FarmHouse Fresh all about?
Delia McLinden (DM): FarmHouse Fresh was founded in Frisco, Texas, by Shannon McLinden. Her goal is to create upscale, natural bath and body products that are lovingly packaged with a touch of country humor. Our products delight spa guests with lively, seasonal spa treatments and a gorgeous, vintage-inspired retail collection carried at luxury spas, hotels, and five-star destination resorts.
FHF’s wholesome collection is made from 90-99% natural and naturally-derived ingredients. Each product is made in the USA and is free of parabens, sulfates, and mineral oil. More than half of our products are formulated to be gluten-free, vegan, or both. Our decorative boxes use vegetable-based inks, and our adorable glass retail packaging is often reused as flower vases and more.
GGC: Why do customers love FHF?
DM: Our bath and body products spring from a very whimsical, child-like place. We’re thrilled that our customers indulge us as we create wholesome products with a light-hearted touch that brings smiles. We infuse a touch of our country humor into everything, starting with product names like “Whoopie! Shea Butter Hand Cream,” a body butter that is scented like Whoopie Pie dessert; “Splendid Dirt,” a pore-minimizing mud mask; and “Fluffy Bunny,” a delicate hand cream that you can cuddle up with. We also use fresh ingredients from U.S. farms like organic pumpkin puree from Oregon, Kentucky whiskey, and natural mud clays from Illinois. Customers also like that our products are 90-99% natural and that they are free of parabens and sulfates. The textures, fragrances, and beautiful vintage-style packaging bring delight with every use, and people love to give our products as gifts.
GGC: How long have you been making your product?
DM: We were catapulted to success in 2007 with our first product launch–a set of fine-grain body scrubs that Oprah selected for her O-List, saying that they smelled so good that she wanted to serve them over berries. Since then, our collection has expanded to include lotions, candles, bath soaks, face masks, and more.
GGC: You pride yourselves on producing American-made products. Why are American consumers finding it important to “buy American?”
DM: We think that it feels good to buy a product made in the USA, because you know that your money is directly impacting someone’s paycheck in the U.S. With so many Americans out of work, purchasing “Made in America” brands creates collective momentum to help fuel a big comeback in employment. As designers and manufacturers, we see immediate impacts in our local community. The couriers transporting our materials thank us for keeping them busy; our seamstresses enjoy full-time work, and they hire assistants to cut and prep; and our printers buy equipment to keep up with our demand. FHF is a living example of how “buying American” affects real change. It makes us feel good.
GGC: How has the “made in America” movement impacted your sales?
DM: This movement has not only increased our sales, but it’s also boosted our pride in what we craft. We bring country charm to every aspect of what we create, and our customers really appreciate the details when selecting gifts for gift-giving. We have received a lot of requests for “made in Texas” display signs, and our retailers are doing a fabulous job of using our signs as part of “made in America” spaces in their stores. Buying products made in America will always have a place because it feels good to help those around you, and as long as companies like ours continue to stay on trend with design, function, and soul, we can continue being a gift of choice for years to come. Made locally, from scratch, is always cool in our book!
GGC: Can you recommend any FHF products for common beauty ailments?
DM: For rough, dry, and cracked heels, we recommend using the Honey Heel Glaze. After scrubbing feet, apply a thick layer of the honey heel glaze. Rub it in, put on socks, and go to sleep. Do this nightly! For dry, red, knuckles and hands, we recommend using FarmHouse Fresh Shea Butter Hand Creams. Fluffy Bunny, Whoopie! Shea Butter Cream, Hello Yellow, or Front Porch Punch are great for after washing your hands or exposure to water. For oily, problem skin use FarmHouse Fresh Spendid Dirt Pumpkin Mud Mask.
Recipients of FarmHouse Fresh spa treatments come away saying things like, “A FarmHouse Fresh spa treatment is nothing like you’ve ever experienced. It feels and smells amazing,” and, “This smells good enough to eat!” If you would like to experience a FarmHouse Fresh spa treatment or simply try out some of these “good-enough-to-eat” products, we encourage you to pay a visit to our Spa & Salon. During the month of August, we’re offering a tropical Bahama Mama pedicure that incorporates several FarmHouse Fresh ingredients. Come by during “happy hours” (4-7 pm) on Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays this August to get 25% off this service, plus a complimentary Bahama Mama cocktail to sip while being pampered. To schedule your appointment, please contact our Spa concierge at 719.520.4980 or email@example.com.Read More
Here in Colorado Springs, we’ve been struck with Olympic fever! As the home of the U.S. Olympic Training Center, we’re watching what’s happening in London right now with great anticipation. This Friday evening, in fact, our community is hosting an Olympic celebration in downtown Colorado Springs. Read on for details on this event, plus other ideas for how to enjoy your precious weekend.
- Olympic Celebration — Friday, 4-10 pm, downtown Colorado Springs. This free community party, which will include fireworks and a special torch lighting, will coincide with NBC’s broadcast of the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony in London, which will be displayed on a 15×27-foot high-definition video screen at the intersection of Colorado Avenue and Tejon Street, in front of the U.S. Olympic Committee headquarters. As American athletes get ready to represent our country in London, Colorado Springs citizens here in “Little London” will don red, white, and blue in support of Team USA. Two entertainment stages will feature music, performances, and interviews with local celebrities, including Olympians and Paralympians from past games. Other family-friendly activities will also be available, such as autograph sessions with Olympians and Paralympians, performances by Maximum Velocity (a high-flying BMX performance stunt team) and the Flying Aces All-Stars (Olympic and world champion acrobatic athletes performing some of the coolest trampoline tricks around), a synthetic “ice” rink, kids’ tennis, and a children’s gravity play area. The festivities will close with a breathtaking fireworks display off a downtown rooftop.
- Baseball: Colorado Springs Sky Sox vs. Fresno Grizzlies — Saturday, 6:05 pm, and Sunday, 4:05 pm, Security Service Field (formerly Sky Sox Stadium). On Saturday, the first 2,000 fans through the doors will receive a Carlos Gonzalez bobblehead. On Sunday, the first 1,000 fans will receive a fleece blanket, and hot dogs will be available for just 50 cents. Tickets for Saturday’s game start at $8 each, and tickets for Sunday’s game start at $5.
- Adult Bingo Night — Saturday, 6-9 pm, Garden of the Gods Club. Our Members are invited to join us this Saturday for a fun evening of dinner and bingo. This event is priced at just $25 per person ($5 cash for game card). Cash prizes will be available.
- El Paso County Fair — Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, 10 am – 10 pm, El Paso County Fairgrounds (Calhan, CO). Featuring a petting zoo, arts and crafts, a carnival, and more, the fair offers good ‘ol fashioned family fun. Admission is $7 with a $2 discount for seniors 55+, a $4 discount for children ages 3-12. Children under 3 will be admitted for free.
- Fiddles, Vittles, and Vino — Sunday, 2-8 pm, Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site. Fiddles, Vittles and Vino is an annual event that takes place at Rock Ledge Ranch Historic site, featuring live bluegrass music and a grand tasting involving independent local restaurants as well as a plethora of wine and beer vendors. Proceeds from the festival are donated to Rock Ledge Ranch Historic Site.
If you would like to learn more about improving your golf swing, today’s golf tip of the week will help! Today, Garden of the Gods Club Golf Director of Golf Gene Gabelmann, PGA, teaches on maintaining proper posture during your golf swing. We hope this week’s golf tip helps you shave a few strokes off your game!
Thanks for watching. To schedule a lesson with Gene or another Garden of the Gods Club golf professional, please call our Golf Shop at 719.636.2520. To learn about golf memberships at Garden of the Gods Club, contact Membership Director Tracey Kalata at 719.520.4980. Happy golfing!Read More
If you are one who likes to sip a delicious cocktail on a warm, summer evening, chances are that you will enjoy the yummy cocktail recipes below. Garden of the Gods Club’s lead bartender, Nora Seckler, has created these recipes especially for enjoying in the company of good friends or family. We hope that you enjoy!
Red wine, preferably a nice burgundy
Orange, lime, and cherry for garnish
Fill a large red wine glass 2/3 full with ice. Top off the ice with red wine. Add ½ once of Triple Sec. Next, add equal parts margarita mix and orange juice. Add a little bit of ginger ale and brandy float. Garnish with an orange slice, a lime slice, and a cherry inside the glass. Enjoy!
Pamatini (Pomegranate Martini)
Combine all ingredients in a martini shaker and shake well. Pour into a chilled martini glass and garnish on the side with a lime. Enjoy!
We hope that you enjoy these summer cocktails. As always, remember to drink responsibly! Garden of the Gods Club Members and guests of the Lodge can enjoy delicious drinks, appetizers, and entrees in the Lounge, dining room, and Kissing Camels Grille. If you are interested in learning more about the variety of membership opportunities available at GGC, including social/dining memberships, we invite you to contact Director of Membership Tracey Kalata at 719.520.4980 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also stop in and chat with us about finding your place in the GGC community!Read More