Five New Year’s Eve Safety Tips
New Year’s Eve is a fun time of celebration and anticipation. With all the festivities, we wanted to take a moment to remind you to be safe this New Year’s Eve. Here are some simple tips for a safe New Year’s holiday.
1. Embrace the “buddy system.” Whether or not you will be consuming alcohol this New Year’s Eve, you should always let somebody know your whereabouts. Should anything unexpected happen, this person can alert any authorities necessary. It is always a good idea to have somebody to whom you are accountable for your safety if you are planning to go out on New Year’s Eve.
2. Don’t drink and drive. This one is obvious, but it bears repeating. In addition to hanging up your keys if you are planning to drink, don’t attempt to walk home, either. This article from homesecuritysource.com explains the potential dangers of walking home while inebriated, including falling on cement, getting hit by a car, or being followed by a potential assailant. If you are going to drink, arrange a safe mode of transportation home ahead of time.
3. Never leave your drink unattended. If you are attending a party where drinks are offered, never put your drink down. Leaving your drink alone makes it vulnerable to somebody slipping something into it.
4. Avoid the roads. If possible, avoid driving too much on New Year’s Eve, as there are many people out drinking. A great option is to ring in the New Year at a hotel where you can stay overnight. If you will be driving this New Year’s Eve, be cautious.
5. Stock a first-aid kit in your home and car. If you are hosting a New Year’s Eve party, make sure to have a fully-stocked first-aid kit on hand in case of any unexpected injuries or accidents. For your car, make sure to keep both a medical first-aid kit, as well as a kit full of simple car repair items in case you experience any car trouble. This article by Jason Fitzpatrick on lifehacker.com is a great resource for what items are helpful to include in a car first-aid kit.
This New Year’s Eve, enjoy yourself, but also take measures to stay safe. If you are celebrating in Colorado Springs and are looking for a great place to stay on New Year’s Eve, we encourage you to check out The Lodge at Garden of the Gods Club. Lodge guests will have the opportunity to enjoy a delicious New Year’s Day breakfast buffet, access to a our relaxing Spa & Salon, as well as the best view in town!
We wish you, your friends, and your family a very happy New Year!