Six Tips to Make the Most of Your Summer Vacation
Although the start of summer is an exciting time, the season of days spent by the pool never seems to last quite long enough. To help you fully enjoy your summer vacation, we chatted with a few staff members here at Garden of the Gods Club to get their tips for making the best of the warm season. Keep reading to learn more.
1. Slow down. Ask nearly anybody and they will agree: life is busy. When it comes to enjoying summer, it’s important to be intentional about slowing down. Whether you clear an afternoon for yourself or leisurely explore a nature trail with a good friend, take time to notice the small things. “After my husband and I put my daughter to bed, we like to sit out on our deck with a glass of wine and watch the stars,” Tracey Kalata, GGC’s director of membership said. “I think it’s really important to take time for yourself.”
2. Take advantage of local attractions. You don’t have to plan a grand summer vacation to enjoy yourself. Plan some fun into your everyday routine by exploring attractions that are offered in your own backyard. “There are so many things to take advantage of in the Colorado Springs area,” Tracey said. “My family and I enjoy hiking the incline, visiting the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, hiking the incline trail, exploring Manitou Springs, and more,” she continued. “There’s no reason to get bored during the gorgeous summer months.”
3. Plan ahead. Don’t let the summer escape you for lack of planning. Take an hour or so and write out all of the things that you want to enjoy this summer. Then make a plan for when and how they will happen. “Planning ahead for a great summer is especially important for families with children,” Tracey said. “Registering children ahead of time for camps and other activities helps the entire family transition into summer with ease.”
4. Keep children active. “My wife and I try to keep our five-year-old and our eight-year-old active during the summer,” Joshua Smith, GGC’s accounting manager, said. “My wife doesn’t working during the summer, so she makes an effort to take them swimming, hiking, and to the zoo,” he continued. “We also keep them engaged in learning in fun ways. Whether it’s a fun book or a game on the kids’ tablet, we try to promote learning while they’re having fun.”
5. Take a family vacation. Summer is a wonderful time to make memories with your family. “My family enjoys taking road trips together,” Joshua said. “When traveling with kids, it’s really important to pack a variety of healthy snacks. We pack snacks like fruit, nuts, berries, and juice without preservatives,” he added. “We also play games in the car such as Road Bingo or I-Spy, and we bring plenty of DVDs for them to watch. This keeps the kids engaged and happy.”
6. Take a lot of photos. Make an effort to document your summer memories with photos. You will be glad when you can look back and relive great moments with your friends and family.
Summer is a wonderful time to relax and make family memories, and Garden of the Gods Club Members and Lodge guests regularly take advantage of Club amenities to help them do just this. With a Recreation Center that features a junior Olympic size swimming pool, a children’s spray garden, and a snack bar, Members and guests look forward to catching some sun at the Recreation Center. To learn more about membership at Garden of the Gods Club, contact Membership Director Tracey Kalata at 719.520.4980 or email@example.com. To learn more about The Lodge at Garden of the Gods Club or to book your reservation, please visit us online or call 719.632.5541.